TMD/TMJ in Tampa, FL
Temporomandibular joint pain or dysfunction includes a wide range of disorders that may often overlap. In general, they include:
- Muscular problems that inhibit or restrict jaw movement
- Pain in the face around the jawbone
- Problems within the temporomandibular joint
The wide range of disorders makes TMD/TMJ problems challenging to diagnose and treat. The good news is a reliable and trained dental team can help with accurate diagnosis and effective treatment.
There are several treatments for TMJ/TMD problems, but they are successful only if the diagnosis is correct. For example, treating a muscular problem with surgery may not alleviate the problem, and pain may persist. In most cases, your dentist or doctor may suggest conservative treatment, to begin with.
Most TMD/TMJ problems show improvement over time; however, in certain cases, your dentist may recommend surgery or injections to reduce pain. Most people can try simple homecare remedies to alleviate pain. Most symptoms disappear on their own. But it’s a good idea to consult Carrollwood Dental Studio or a proper evaluation and diagnosis. He or she will then suggest suitable onward treatment.
When You Should Seek Dental Treatment for TMD/TMJ
You should consider seeking professional treatment for TMJ/TMD if you notice the following symptoms:
- Pain or tenderness around the ears, jaw, neck or shoulders when you try to open your mouth wide, for example, when you chew or yawn
- If your jaws tend to get stuck in the open or closed position
- If you notice a clicking, grating, or popping sounds when you open or move your jaw, these sounds may or may not be accompanied by discomfort or pain.
- Sudden discomfort while biting or if you experience trouble chewing food
TMD/TMJ problems may also be accompanied by headache, toothaches, dizziness, earaches, and ringing in the ears.
Our experienced dentists will check your jaw and facial muscles carefully for grating and popping and ease of movement. He or she will also check to see if your jaw is locking and if your bite is correct.
Contact Carrollwood Dental Studio in Tampa for modern, reliable dental and oral care solutions.